Thursday, October 6, 2016

In this modern world, being immunized is, at its heart, a social issue.

I never know what to say.

I’ve been a nurse for over two decades, I’ve given hundreds of vaccines and never seen a serious side effect or evidence of the development of a chronic disease related to vaccines. I’ve spent years studying the vaccine debate, written a website on the subject, spoken at national conferences, and yet, I am still stumped by the simplest statement made by parents: “I’m not anti-vaccine.”


You’ve just refused a vaccine for your child and then made that statement.

 For the life of me, I don’t know how to respond. You see, I don’t want to have an argument with you, I just want your child to be healthy and safe. I really do. I truly believe you want the very best for your child. I do too.

I don’t think I’m right about everything, but I do know a thing or two about the safety of vaccines and the risks of disease.
I don’t make a penny more or a penny less if you choose to immunize or not.
I understand your fears.
I have children of my own.
I don’t think your decision to not vaccinate your child implies you would intentionally disregard the welfare of those in our community who can’t be vaccinated, or who need protection against preventable diseases.


But actually, it does.

I do think you are an intelligent person who just might have been swayed by misinformation or by well-intentioned peers. I don’t think you are the first; I have been too. But in the end, you are against the receiving of vaccines for your child who is both precious and vulnerable. You’ve refused an amazing medical gift. And, it’s hard for me to understand that.

Would you refuse chemo if your child had cancer?
An antibiotic for a life-threatening infection?
The same science and quest for better health is behind vaccines. So what am I to think?

You might not be “anti-vaccine” but from my perspective you’re not exactly pro-community.
You might not know those in your community who are physically fragile.

Because of my job, I do, and that changes the way I view your decision.

Through immunization it’s possible that you might see the complete eradication of polio in your lifetime. Maybe even measles. Surely, in your child’s. But it takes a universal and monumental effort to keep children from being crippled and disabled.

It’s ok to be fearful.
Just fear the right thing.


You want to make a difference in your community? Vaccinate.
Smallpox didn’t go away by itself and neither will hepatitis B, polio, and Hib.
You want to have some small impact on the life of a child in a developing country? Vaccinate.

It’s a lifetime of giving. In this modern world, being immunized is, at its heart, a social issue.



Eula Biss writes in On Immunity, “Immunity is a shared space… a garden we tend together.”
I like to think we do the same for our community.





Rebekah Sherman RN, BSN, MPH
Author of Ashlandchild.org


Rebekah Sherman BSN, MPH is the primary author of Ashlandchild.org; a website for vaccine hesitant parents. Her real job is working as a clinical RN/RN Educator at La Clinica de Valle where she provides immunization counseling for vaccine hesitant/refusing parents. She lives in Ashland, OR with her family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment